We recently covered the failures of the Galactic Empire that you can learn from in the Star Wars series. In this post we wanted to continue to learn from some of our favorite science fiction stories. This time we will explore the leadership lessons we can learn from one of the most famous captains from another pop culture block buster: Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise. Here are five leadership lessons to ponder from Captain Kirk, as suggested in the Forbes Blog.
- Leaders should never believe there is nothing else to learn about their specialized field of work. There is always information and knowledge leaders can bring to their corporate family to increase their success.
- Surround yourself with people who can give you a multitude of opinions, not just ones that you want to hear.
- Be personally involved in your Corporate Family™. Do not sit in your office space…insert yourself in your organization and invest in your people.
- Strategizing and having a detailed plan can work in the global economy, but sometimes you need to take risks to gain rewards. In other words, while it can be good to play chess, sometimes you need to play poker to succeed.
- There are times when a product or strategy will fail…learn to let them go and move forward with new and fresh ideas.
Let us know what you think about these leadership principles. May you, and your business, live long and prosper!